Obligatory Gamercards

Thursday, August 4, 2011

At Long Last...

Ahhhhh.... that's better.

See that scanned photo above? I finally found a copy of one of my most sought-after horror titles: Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly! I remember reading reviews of this after its release and for some unknown reason never plunked down the cash to play it. Before I gush more let me get this out of the way - I am a horror game junkie. I don't know if I would say it's my favorite genre, as I like to play the "fair dad" and say I love them all equally, but there is something primal and satisfying about feeling absolutely alone and scared to death. It takes a special talent for game design to achieve the atmosphere needed to draw you in and creep you out without knowing it right away, and in this respect I think few compare to Amnesia and the Silent Hill games (except Homecoming, which can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned), but something tells me that I'm going to dig the hell out of Fatal Frame II for this very reason. Just a hunch.

I could have easily found this sooner by purchasing it online, or perhaps having my local GameStop ship it from another store. So why didn't I? Good question, and I suppose it's due to the same reason I didn't buy it upon its two separate releases (both PS2 and Xbox). What that reason is is a complete mystery to me. Perhaps my subconscious has been swaying my hand when selecting which game to buy, knowing through some ethereal grapevine that something horrible would happen should I let my PlayStation consume this disc. Or maybe I just should have bought this instead of Condemned 2. Either way I plan on tempting fate as soon as I finish with my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 (I know, talk about late to the party), which should be fairly soon. Hmmm...I feel a retro horror review coming on...

No comments:

Post a Comment